We Attended Shoptalk Europe 2022: Here Are the Key Takeaways
Shoptalk is one of the world’s largest communities of retail companies, influencers, investors, brands, and startups. After becoming America’s biggest retail conference within a few years, Shoptalk came to Europe this year with its inaugural edition.
The conference called Shoptalk Europe was organized from 6th to 8th June in London and was attended by 3000+ retailers, founders, media personnel, analysts, and brands, including the likes of Apple, PayPal, Shopify, Red Bull, L’Oréal, and Calvin Klein, etc.
Team Dresma was also a part of this first-ever edition of Shoptalk Europe.
After a few years of uncertainty, it was heartening to be a part of an in-person event as opposed to an online conference. We not only got to meet some of the biggest changemakers and trailblazers in the retail industry but also attended keynotes by famous speakers and guests from worldwide renowned brands.
In this post, we’ll share our experience with you as well as highlight some key takeaways from the event. So, let’s begin.
What is Shoptalk?
Shoptalk is widely regarded as the biggest retail show in the world. It is one of the biggest communities of retail influencers, changemakers, and thought leaders.
This event gathers established retailers, brands, tech startups, large tech, venture capitalists, and many others.
Shoptalk aims to offer a platform where the audience can educate themselves about the latest developments in retail, collaborate with brands, or create new technologies to improve retail.
After being founded in 2016, within only a few years, Shoptalk has managed to be widely accepted as the global home for retail innovators. The event hosts numerous sessions around marketing strategies, tactics, supply chain, changing customer needs, and data-driven marketing.
Who were some of the key speakers?
Shoptalk Europe brought together 200+ industry leaders and innovators from a wide cross-section of companies. Here are some of the key speakers who rocked the stages at Shoptalk Europe 2022 –
- Andy Logan – Global VP eCommerce (AB InBev)
- Maria Mazzone – Managing Director, Innovation (Accenture)
- Laura McCracken – Managing Director, Global eCommerce & Payments (Accenture)
- Spencer Skinner – Founding Partner (Active Partners)
- Roelant Prins – Chief Commercial Officer (Adyen)
- Mei Chen – Head of Fashion and Luxury UK, US, and Northern Europe (Alibaba Group)
- Roland Palmer – GM UK, Belgium, Netherlands & Nordics (Alibaba Group)
- Alvise Favara – Chief Commercial Officer & Management Board Member (Allegro)
- Valerie de Charette – VP International Ecommerce (American Eagle Outfitters, Inc)
- Sandra Kampmann – Director of Insight and Analytics (ASOS.com)
- Ignacio Vazquez Guerra – Global Head of Marketing, Travel Retail (Bacardi)
- Oliver Edholm – Co-Founder & CEO (Depict.AI)
- Ekta Chopra – Chief Digital Officer (e.l.f. Beauty)
- Elodie Perthuisot – Executive Director E-Commerce, Data and Digital Transformation (Carrefour Group)
- Eve Williams – Chief Marketing Officer, UK (eBay)
- Thomas Harms – Managing Partner, Global Retail (EY)
- Joana de Quintanilha – VP, Principal Analyst (Forrester)
- Isabela Chick – Chief Strategy Officer (Founders Factory)
- Michael Kostadinovich – Chief Technology Officer (Grover)
- Erik Huberman – Founder (Hawke Media)
- Holden Bale – Head of Commerce (Huge Inc.)
- Susan Barratt – CEO (IGD)
- Parag Parekh – Co-Chief Digital Officer (IKEA Retail)
- Michael Truluck – CEO (La Redoute International)
- Lucia Marcuzzo – SVP & Managing Director, North Europe (Levi Strauss & Co.)
- Roger Graell Sole – Global Ecommerce Director (Mango)
- Balakrishnan Subramanian – VP, Digital (Mars)
- Ian Edwards – Global Connection Planning Director (Meta)
- Katy Clark – Head of Industry – Grocery, Food & Energy Retail (Meta)
- Alister Greenwood – Head of Global eCommerce Insights & Analytics, (Mondelez)
- Cristina Marinucci – Head of Global Shopper, Insights & Analytics (Mondelez International)
- Rosie Bailey – Co-Founder & CEO (Nibble)
- JuE Wong – CEO (Olaplex)
- Orr Hameiri – Global Technology Innovation Director (P&G)
- Anna Farberov – GM PepsiCo Labs, Global Venture & Innovation (PepsiCo)
- Saba Arab – Managing Director (Publicis Sapient)
- AJ Dalal – GVP, Data Strategy & Consulting (Publicis Sapient)
- Rania Lamprou – Co-Founder & CEO (Simpler)
- Tash Grossman – CEO (Slip)
- Claire Valoti – VP EMEA (Snap)
- Danna Hochstein Mann – Head of Innovation, Fox Labs (The Fox Group)
- Katharina Sutch – Director of Shopper & OmniChannel Activation (The LEGO Group)
- Patrick Nommensen – Head of E-Commerce Operations, TikTok Shop (TikTok)
- Eve Henrikson – Regional General Manager – EMEA (Uber)
- Claire Hennah – Beauty & Wellbeing Chief Customer & Digital Officer (Unilever)
- Jose Nino – VP of Global Digital Strategy & E-Commerce (US Polo Assn.)
- Lucy Maguire – Trends Editor (Vogue Business)
- Sam Adatto – Head of Marketplaces (World of Books)
- Tomasz Blicharski – EVP, Managing Director of Żaka Future (Zabka)
What were the key themes covered?
Let’s now look at some of the key themes that were covered during the Shoptalk –
Utilizing retail data
“Data is the currency for the digital ecosystem. It has to be nimble. It has to be flexible.”
– Ekta Chopra – Chief Digital Officer (e.l.f. Beauty)
Future of technology
“Now we’re looking at how we actually build a community in the metaverse.”
– Ekta Chopra – Chief Digital Officer (e.l.f. Beauty)
Innovation in retail media
“Retail media is key. It’s a new business. And it’s a new way of working with our CPG partners. The aim of retail media is how together we can improve performance. Growing the customer database is key.”
– Elodie Perthuisot, Chief E-Commerce, Digital Transformation and Data Officer (Carrefour Group)
Marketing strategies and tactics for a digitally changing world
“You don’t have time to wonder how to engage with the customer after they start shopping. You need to be there, and you need to be discoverable.”
“Retail media can create fun, engaging experiences with customers that surprise and delight them.”
– Katharina Sutch, Global Shopper & Omnichannel Activation Director (LEGO Group)
“The key thing right now is making sure operationally we’re communicating as an entire experience with online retail, not just a shopping channel. We’re at that moment in time where tech is evolving. You have to keep the core principles of marketing the same.”
– Katy Clark, Head of Grocery, Food & Energy Retail (Meta)
“The priorities for grocery shoppers are different from impulse shoppers. We talk a lot about the seamless shopping journey, but we’re also trying to work with partners to interrupt shoppers at the right moments to drive impulse.”
– Alister Greenwood, Head of Global eCommerce Insights & Analytics (Mondelez International)
Full-funnel advertising strategy
“Consistency across a real-world and online experience is so important, but it doesn’t have to mean ‘matching luggage.’ It can be a connected spirit with your brand. Retail media is moving to in-store experiences.”
– Jonathan Lewis-Jones, Managing Director (Publicis)
Bringing more data points together to integrate and analyze omnichannel data sources to create a cohesive omnichannel shopping experience
“Our vision is to have an automated process for data ingestion, then a consistent approach to use that data across the organization, and then finally to make the data reusable and democratize it.”
“What we want to get to is prescriptive analytics to change outcomes and improve sales and share. Socializing data within the organization starts with the minimum viable product we need to make decisions.”
– Cristina Marinucci, Global Head of Shopper Insights & Analytics (Mondelez International)
“At end of the day, we’re integrating data to drive actions.”
– Joana de Quintanilha, VP and Principal Analyst (Forrester)
Key highlights from Shoptalk Europe 2022
Here are a few video highlights for some of the magic moments that happened at Shoptalk Europe 2022 –
Day 1 highlights
Day 2 highlights